You’d think I’m out of my mind for trying to read so much all at once, but I’ve got a library book due today that I’ve barely started. So, #Readathon, come at me bro.
I’ll be updating this post throughout the day, so check back for more!
1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today? US of A!
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? I didn’t really make a stack, so I can be free to choose a book based on my mood. Right now I’m reading Illuminae by Amei Kaufman and Jay Kristoff and loving it.
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? Currently drinking a homemade mocha. I’m set.
4) Tell us a little something about yourself! Well, other than loving to read books, I’m a stay at home mom with a three year old and one year old, I make nail polish (working on my Hamilgold color right now!), and currently wrapped up in a TARDIS robe.
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to? I’m looking forward to finishing these library books and not getting slapped with book fines 😛
I woke up at 6:52am and realized that I completely forgot to set my alarm for my 7am run. But then I remembered that it was #Readathon morning, so I just started reading instead. #NoExerciseForMe
*taking advice from Fay* – lightly a pumpkin spice candle, putting on my Happy Place music, and grabbing a bottle of water
*challenge answer* My bookish other half: based on who I’d marry or who is most like me? I’d marry Neville freaking Longbottom, okay? That man as my heart. But for who’s like me? I’d like to claim that I was Lila Bard (Shades of Magic) in a past life. I’ll claim it forever.
asdfghjkl; my snap of Illumiae is on the official blog!!!
I’m fine, really. Anyway, here’s my book and snack for the hour:
I’ve completed 100 pages of reading! Lets keep this roll going!
*finding wedding references in book titles challenge*
a VOW of glory, morgan rice
the GOWN of glory, anges sligh turnbull
lots of CANDLES plenty of CAKE, anna quindlen
the girl with all the GIFTS, m r carey
the lord of the RINGS, j r r tolkien
the painted VEIL, w somerset maugham
father of the BRIDE, edward streeter
the COUPLE next door, shari lapena
forrest gump, winston GROOM
the BELL jar, sylvia plath
the language of FLOWERS, vanessa diffenbaugh
busman’s HONEYMOON, dorothy l sayers
I read this poem for a challenge by Jilly Dybka and it just confused me. Poetry is not my thing.
Carnival of Souls
The bird-like woman
at the ramshackle carnival—
the only one riding
a roller coaster in the rain.
At the ramshackle carnival
the sparse crowd seeks shelter.
A roller coaster in the rain
has but one passenger.
The sparse crowd seeks shelter.
The only one riding
a roller coaster in the rain:
the bird-like woman.
Some friends stopped by unexpectedly, and I love them, but it’s readathon day 😮
I really was happy to see them, but I didn’t get any reading done at all.
*memory challenge* A book memory of mine is reading the Hunger Games trilogy. My husband bought the boxed set for me for Christmas when we were seven months into our marriage. They were the first books I read during my married life (that weren’t for school). I basically pulled my own mini readathon and hardly slept . I had the trilogy finished before New Years’ since I sat up reading next to Cody with a flashlight. That when he learned exactly what kind of reader I was and he’s been buying me books every since 🙂
That #MomLife called and I had to make lunch (and eat it too!) But I’m back now, the kids are having quiet time (hopefully they stay in their rooms) and I’m ready to read again.
*literary world tour* Dude, look at my username. I would sooooo be flying my butt to Neverland, okay? Maybe I’ll just floo powder it to Hogwarts after a month or two. After a three week crash course on magic and shopping trip to Diagon Alley, I’d open a door and find myself in Narnia. Once I sail the seas with Caspian for awhile, the War Doctor will show up with his TARDIS (there’s books!) and take me to meet – and help – Lila and Kell defend the world against some dark Shades of Magic through multiple Londons. Then he’ll bring me right back home to the exact time I left, so I won’t have missed any parts of my real life.
My posture is horrible and my back almost always hurts. I’m 100% certain it’s due to reading too much.
I’m currently reading Illuminae, and I would cast Zendaya as Kady Grant, Jake T. Austin as Ezra Mason, and Nick Blood as David Torrence
I’m halfway through Illuminae. I’m not reading nearly quickly enough, though, since this book is due back at the library today. But ish is getting real in the story, so hopefully I’ll read more quickly now.
—- So I know it’s not here yet, but if you’re following along, I won’t be updating for a bit. Some #adulting will be taking over, but I’ll come back and complete any challenges I happen to miss (though I’m hoping it will be at most two) —-
Welp. I meant to miss two hours. I missed four. BUT I was at a going away party for some really good friends, and my clothes smell like camp fire, so it was worth it. I read absolutely nothing, and though I had planned to listen to an audiobook in the car, it was definitely not kid-friendly, so I just opted for music for the trip. I’ll be catching up now!
Scariest line I’ve read in Illuminae: “Included here is a highlight reel of the info Grant accessed… Take note of the dates. And read with the lights on.”
*bookish party challenge*
What book is your party themed around? A Darker Shade of Magic
What food will you serve? I think it’ll be less about the food itself, and more about the dinnerware. I’ll need four courses (maybe snacks, appetizers, entrees, and dessert) and serve them each on different colored plates – grey, red, white, and black
What’s your signature drink? I wanna say a bloody mary, but I’ve never had one 😛 Maybe water for the river that holds magic
What games will you play? I’d have to find a way to make the board with the four elements that Kell has. Is there an Avatar: the Last Airbender game? If so, I could use that and re-label it!
What party favors will you send home with your guests? Black rocks. And devil masks. Because Lila freaking Bard.
1. What are you reading right now? Hardcover: Illuminae Audiobook: You
2. How many books have you read so far? zero completed
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon? Illuminae
4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those? Ugh, a ton. I just still gotta do life and read in mini spurts while I can.
5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far? How much fun I’m having!
I didn’t buy any books specifically for the readathon. And since I was out of the house during the hour, I didn’t get to participate in the ten minute costume challenge. So here’s what I would have grabbed: my GeekyCon cosplay and Halloween costume. Hey, My Little Pony has comics, so that’s a book!
I’d turn The Lunar Chronicles into a LEGO video game if I could!
*#FitReaders challenge* I actually just sat down! So I spent about 30 minutes of this hour chasing a toddler and preschooler. That’s exercise aplenty!
(Finally back in real time) I’ve switched to an audiobook, but OMG am I creeped the heck out.
Let’s be real, You by Caroline Kepnes is sooooo not my typical genre. It’s super weird to read -listen- to a stalker’s perspective. I need some vanilla chai tea with a splash of milk and a bit of honey. Mmmmm….. The perfect calming smell to distract me from this creepy as ‘ell book
No challenge this round. And I’m getting tired…
I fell asleep.
And ignoring my alarm.
It’s four am. *rolls over*
You by Caroline Kepnes
Yuck, what the heck is this?
Oh em gee, I can’t even deal with this
Utterly disturbing stalker.
Ahhh!!!! I fell asleep! Get up, get up, there are books to read!
Here’s a scene in the cage with creepy, stalker, man-napping Joe. Bad sketch, but eh.
- Which hour was most daunting for you? Definitely hour 19, when my body decided it needed sleep.
- Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? Well, if you’d like to stay awake because you’ve been given the creeps, go with You by Caroline Kepnes
- Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next season? I absolutely loved participating. The only suggestion I can make is to start it at a different time, 7am in the UK instead of the US.
- What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? I loved the hourly updates on the blog! And participating on Twitter was my favorite.
- How many books did you read? I’ve read two books, haven’t completely them, but I’m working on it.
- What were the names of the books you read? Illuminae and You
- Which book did you enjoy most? Oh, Illuminae for sure.
- Which did you enjoy least? You is giving me the heeby jeevies. *shivers*
- How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time? I’m definitely participating next time! I’ll be reading, and hoping to remember to sign up to host one of the mini challenges.
I was planning on going to sleep now. It’s 7am, and I could have totally taken a nap. But noooo….. Miss Pond (the three year old) decided to wake up with sunrise.
So, goodbye #Readathon. Hello, #MomLife! I’ll of course be going to bed way early tonight.
Ends stats: 174 pages read. 4 hours listened to (or 15 chapters)