We all have an extensive laundry list of why 2016 totally sucked, myself included. But I don’t want to look back ten years from now and say “everything about that year was horrible.” I mean, I’ve got two small children. In 2016 my daughter turned 3 and my son learned how to walk and talk. Well… by talk I mean not just babble and grunt. But still. Good things happened in my life and I want to remember them. So without further ado, ten wonderful things that I lived through in 2016:
Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
2016 was the year that I discovered the online book community and started paying attention to new book releases. As such, there were a ton of 2016 releases that I truly meant to get to but didn’t read. Ten of those books were:
- Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo: actually, I’m reading this book right now!
- The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis: I’ve heard great things.
- The Love That Split the World by Emily Henry: it’s either science fiction or fantasy, I’m actually not sure. But I own it and need to read it.
- Everland by Wendy Spinale: a steampunk Peter Pan retelling written by a woman named Wendy. How did I not read this?
- Truthwitch by Susan Dennard: I’ve seen very few people say this dislike this book. Plus the cover is gorgeous. I currently have it checked out from the library and can hopefully get to it soon.
- Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco: I read the first 60ish pages of this book before life started getting super busy and I set it aside. Hoping to pick it back up this week!
- The Blazing Star by Imani Josey: one second she’s in history class, the next she’s in ancient Egypt. Just the synopsis is everything my favortite stories are made of!
- Metaltown by Kristen Simmons: the author said this was her steampunk answer to Les Mís. I pre-ordered it immediately after that.
- Heartless by Marissa Meyer: yet another book I started but haven’t finished yet. But in this case, though, I started in December so I’m still currently reading it.
- Of Fire and Stars by Audrey Coulthurst: I almost bought this book at my independent bookstore, but correctly guessed that it would be in the December Owlcrate. I’m glad I postponed my purchase of it, but that meant I didn’t get it until the end of the year and ran out of time to read it.
I’m still planning on reading these books. Majorly hoping I get to them all this year!
- The Education of Margot Sanchez by Lilliam Rivera
- Poison’s Kiss by Breeana Shields
- Caraval by Stephanie Garber
- Empress of a Thousand Skies by Rhoda Belleza
- Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones
- Daughter of the Pirate King by Tricia Levenseller
- When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon
- The Color Project by Sierra Abrams
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
A List of Cages by Robin Roe
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish
And I know it’s not Tuesday anymore, but I just now realized that I missed it. Plus I made this cool graphic. 😛